Have you ever been scalloping in Florida? The season began on June 25 and the Plantation on Crystal River, located in Florida’s Nature Coast, welcomes families to join in on the hunt with both guided and self-guided packages – including accommodations.
What is Scalloping?
Similar to snorkeling, this popular family activity includes carrying a mesh bag for storing your harvest. Scallops can be easy to spot with their bright blue eyes, but you must be quick in scooping them up – those eyes are used to detect predators.
Scallops are typically found in the shallow, grass flats in waters that are anywhere from three to six feet deep. At only two to three inches in length, they also feature a fan-shaped shell. And they are quite the seafood delicacy too and available only when they are in season!
Check Out These Scalloping Packages
Guided scalloping packages start at $615 for mid-week stays for two guests and includes:
- Two-night stay in a garden or water view deluxe room, patio room or golf villa
- Guided scalloping tour including mask, snorkel and fins with one of the area’s top captains
- Souvenir bag with mesh scalloping bag, scallop recipes and water
- Chef will prepare the cleaned fresh day’s harvest (scallops or fish) for lunch or dinner and serve with two sides
- Breakfast daily
- Ramp launch, trailer storage and seawall tie for those bringing their own boat. Seawall tie is first come-first serve.
Rates for the unguided packages begin at $335 for mid-week stays for two guests.
Let Someone Else Do the Cooking
And if you’d rather not book the scalloping package – you can still have your scallops cooked for you! (How’s that for a great service?!)
For $13.95 per person, the West 82 Bar & Grill will prepare your shucked scallops during dinner service. Choose one of four preparations – scampi style, au gratin, sauteed in lemon butter or Chef’s choice. The meal is served with two sides. Lunch service is also available for $10.95 per person with fries and cole slaw.
Book Your Stay at Plantation on Crystal River
To learn more about scalloping in Florida and this package, visit the Plantation on Crystal River resort at www.PlantationonCrystalRiver.com or call 800-632-6262.
Are You Ready to Go Scalloping?
** I received no compensation for this post. Scalloping sounds like a great adventure and I wanted to share this news with you. **