One of my last outings as the VISIT FLORIDA Family Insider was a weekend adventure at Westgate River Ranch Resort, about 80 miles south of Orlando — and we went glamping!
It was fun to step outside of our comfort zone and try something completely new together as a family. (Check out our video at the bottom of this post!)
What Is Glamping?
Not familiar with glamping? It is ‘glamorous camping’ featuring oversized, outdoor accommodations with amenities including a ceiling fan, electrical outlets, air conditioning along with a microwave and mini refrigerator.
A neighboring bathroom was a short walk away with showers (and plenty of hot water) and even hair dryers. Each family had a key to their own private bathroom — safe, clean with towels and toiletries provided too.
Say Hello to Your Personal Glamping Concierge
One of the fun perks of glamping is access to your own our ‘personal glamping concierge’. We never had to worry about starting our campfire each night, she helped us schedule activities and even delivered cinnamon rolls and coffee to our tent in the morning. How’s that for fun?
For a camping rookie like myself, I never felt silly asking her questions. She was a total pro, complete with a cowboy hat and boots.
Things To Pack for Glamping
Here are some things we brought with us and a few things I wish we had brought along too —
- Flashlight — There are lighted areas, but a flashlight is handy for when the sun goes down
- Bug Spray — It’s camping. Need I say more?
- S’mores Supplies — You can buy a S’mores kit from the resort’s general store, but bring your own and make friends with your neighbors at the campfire
- Bikes — There are bikes available for rent, but if you can bring your own. It’s a fun and easy way to get around the resort. (Golf carts are available for rent too.)
- Paper towels — Linens are provided, but paper towels come in handy for camping. S’mores get messy, by the way.
Pro Tip: Our glamping tent even had a few board games for us to play. It was a nice surprise and we loved playing Monopoly once the girls were asleep at night.
Check Out Our Experience
Besides glamping, the resort features horseback riding, nature hikes, trap and skeet shooting, hayrides, zip line, mechanical bull and even bungee jumping. Each Saturday night the resort hosts a rodeo arena featuring trick riding, bull riding and barrel racing.
Here’s a look at our glamping experience and time at Westgate River Ranch Resort.
With time around the campfire, taking in all of the activities at the resort and just getting away from the everyday rush – it was a great weekend trying something new. And next time, I’ll bring even more S’mores.